The mission of DSS Child Care is to assist families living in Durham County with information and access to child care services.
- Child Care Subsidies
- Information on choosing quality child care
- Technical Assistance including record keeping, completion of attendance sheets, and workshops on best business practices for child care providers
- Information and referral on other services for families and children
Low income families with children between ages 0-12 who meet income guidelines, live in Durham County, and are employed or in school. Additionally, the following are considered priority groups and may be eligible.
- The child is in protective services or in foster care
- Are Work First recipients and need child care in order to pursue employment
- The family resides in a homeless shelter
- Parent/guardian is in a substance abuse treatment program
Information can be obtained at 1201 S. Briggs Avenue, Suite 100, Durham, NC 27703 from 7:30 AM-5:30 PM Monday-Friday. Call (919) 560-8300 to inquire about funding and service availability.
- SEEK Pilot [PDF]
- CHILD CARE DIBS Volume 1 Issue 14 [PDF]
- Policy Changes in Child Care Subsidy effective 10/1/14 and 1/1/15
External resources: learn more about Child Care services
- Durham's Partnership for Children
- Child Care Facility Search
- North Carolina Division of Child Development
- Child Care Services Association
- Head Start - Chapel Hill Training and Outreach Project
Linda M. Bauer,
Child Care Services