Social Services


Due to Federal and State changes; we are expecting a significant increase in the number of cases that need to be processed. This increase will have an impact on our ability to complete all of our work on time. To reduce this impact to you, we need your help. Please return all forms and documents requested by your worker in order for your case to be completed as soon as you can. Please note this may include the new MAGI Transition Form commonly referred to as the 5199. We are working hard to make sure benefits are processed in a timely manner.

Social Services Logo

Michael A. Becketts, Director
414 E. Main Street
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-560-8000
Hours: 7:30 AM-5:30 PM







Our mission is to partner with individuals, families and the community to help our residents achieve physical, social and financial well-being.


Get Help NowReport Abuse / NeglectGet DSS Updates Via Email ButtonDirectory of Services
 > Family Support

Our agency invests in the safety and stability of families, elderly, and disabled adults.  We help children to be ready for and succeed in school. We do this through a variety of social work programs.

 Adult Protective Services
 Health Network
 Child Protective Services
 In-Home Services
 Community Initiatives
 Long Term Care Website
 Family Crisis
 School Social Work


 > Financial Support

Our agency invests in meeting basic economic needs, provides access to health care and nutrition to improve health status and helps people to find jobs, develop strong work habits and create a career path. We're working to help families become self-sufficient with strong support, including child support and child care assistance.

 Child Care
 Child Support
 Food & Nutrition Services
 Work First Employment Services
 Work First Family Assistance
 > Social Services Non-Discrimination Policy

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director of Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C.  202-9410 or call (800)795-3272 (voice) or (202)720-6382 (TTY).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. 


Durham County DSS Child Care location

1201 Briggs Ave., Suite 101 (Child Care) Durham, NC 27703 [Map]