Location: Redwood Convenience Site, Redwood Road and Electra Road
Hours of operation: Per request. See Attendant on Duty.
Moving? Cleaning out your attic or garage? Redecorating? Looking for an item? Just have good useable items you no longer want or need? Durham County General Services offers residents another option to keep those useable items out of the landfill. It's called a Swap Shop.
The purpose of the Swap Shop is to encourage waste reduction through the practice of reuse. The goal is to divert good, useable items away from the waste stream and conserve valuable landfill space.
Here's how the Swap Shop works. Residents having items in working, useable condition donate them to the Swap Shop. Residents in need of items visit the Swap Shop looking for the items. If the items are available, they take them. "Swapping" extends both the life of the items and the life of the landfill.
- The Swap Shop is open to Durham County residents (no businesses please) only.
- All visitors to the Swap Shop must check in with the onsite Site Attendant.
- Items must work.
- Place items neatly on the shelves.
- Place like items together.
- Furniture must be not be soiled, torn or broken.
- The Swap Shop operates on a first come, first serve basis.
- You don't have to bring something to take something.
- All items are free.
- Please, no TVs or computers.
Any and all items may be rejected at the sole discretion of Department of General Services’ staff.
Examples of Acceptable Items:
- Appliances (small & working)
- Furniture (clean and in good condition, no tears)
- Lawn & garden tools
- Any item broken or damaged in any way.
- Any liquids
- Large Appliances
- Box Springs
- Car parts
- Chemicals (take to the City of Durham’s Household Hazardous Waste [HHW] Facility)
- Clothing (best donated to a local charity)
- Construction materials (consider Habitat for Humanity)
- Paint (Consider Habitat for Humanity or City of Durham’s HHW Facility)
If you have questions about the acceptability of an item, please call first. You may call the Redwood Convenience Site at 919-682-8200 or the Department of General Services at 919-560-0433.
Durham County Government does not own any of the items left in the Swap Shop. Visitors to the Swap Shop recognize and accept all risk and responsibility for items taken.