Fred Foster, Jr., Commissioner
Phone: (919) 479-8305
5718 Whippoorwill St, Durham, NC 27704
Commissioner Fred Foster is currently serving his first term of office having been sworn in on December 3, 2012. He served as chairman of the Durham BOCC from 2012 to 2013. In August 2014, he was appointed to the National Association of Counties leadership team. He will serve as vice chair of the Human Services and Education Steering Committee. This committee reviews all matters pertaining to children’s issues, foster care, public assistance and income support, services to senior citizens and individuals with disabilities, immigration policy, social services, and elementary, secondary and post-secondary education.
He has a B. A. in Business Management from N.C. State University and worked in state and local government retiring with 28 years of service. Commissioner Foster is a military veteran having been honorably discharged with the U. S. Army Reserve with 22 years of service. He has been very active in community affairs and served as President of the Durham North Carolina Chapter of the NAACP. Commissioner Foster is married to Mildred J. Harris-Foster and they have 4 children.
Boards and Commissions
• Board of Delegates for Triangle J Council of Governments
• Board of Trustees for Triangle Transit/ Operations and Finance Committee Member
• Board of Trustees for Duke Regional Hospital/ Finance and Planning Committee Member
• Watts School of Nursing Oversight Committee Member
• Board of Trustees for Durham Visitors and Convention Bureau
• Board of Trustee for Downtown Durham, Inc.
• Committee Member of Human Services and Education for North Carolina Association of County Commissioners
• Committee Member for Economic Development of North Carolina Association of County Commissioners
• Transportation Board Member of American Public Transportation Association
• Legislative Committee Member of American Public Transportation Association
• Vice Chair of Finance Committee on the Mayor's Poverty Reduction Initiative
• Committee Member for the Internal Audit Committee for Durham County Government
• Committee Member for the Raleigh Durham Authority
Committee Member for the Mayors and Chairs of the Triangle J Council of Governments
Committee Member for the Gang Reduction Strategy Steering Committee