Brenda A. Howerton, Commissioner
Phone: (919) 544-4160
3325 Tarleton West, Durham, NC 27713
Brenda Howerton was elected to the Durham County Board of Commissioners in 2008. She serves as Vice Chairman as of December 2012. In August 2014, she was selected as second vice president of the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners. She is the first Durham County commissioner to be elected to a statewide senior leadership office.
Ms. Howerton serves on the Durham Joint City/County Planning Committee. She also serves on a number of local, state and regional commissions including: Transportation Advisory Committee, Audit Oversight Committee, Criminal Justice Advisory Committee, Durham City-County committee, Juvenile Crime Prevention Council, Public Health Board, Workforce Development Board, Museum of Life and Science, Lincoln Community Health, as well as the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners Presidents Mentoring Initiative Committee, Legislative Goals Committee, and the (NACo ) National Association of Counties Community, Economic and Workforce Development Steering Committee.
Brenda Howerton received B.S. Degree in Business Management from Shaw University and a certification in Executive Coaching from North Carolina State University. She is the owner of The Howerton Consulting, Inc that specializes in organizational development and executive coaching for public and private industries. Her interest in county government stems from her education and work background. She not only has certifications in business, but also certifications from two political leadership institutions. She has served as an elected Soil and Water Supervisor for six years and worked in the General Assembly in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Commissioner Howerton is the mother of four children, two of which graduated from Durham Public Schools and three grandchildren.
Past Board and Committees Memberships
NCACC–Vice Chair Intergovernmental Relations
• Cancer Advisory Board on Health Disparities
• Library Board of Trustees Commission Liaison
• Project Safe Neighborhoods
• Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau
• Alternate, Audit Oversight Committee
• Vice Chair, Durham City County Planning Committee
• Community Child Protection Team
• Supervisor, Elected Soil and Water District
• Chair, Durham Million Man March Victim Assistance
• Political Chair, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
• Treasurer, Tarleton West Homeowner Association
• Human Relations Commissioner
• National Association of County Commissioners
• Society of Human Resources Management, inactive member